1. BRP (Breeder Referral Program) members participating in the BRP are the owners of a sire or dam. Both the sire and the dam of a litter produced must be entered into the Berner-Garde database.
2. BRP members must be a member in good standing with the BMDCA for at least one year and have no unresolved grievances with the BRBMDC, BMDCA or AKC.
3. Subscription to the BRP (Breeder Referral Program) takes place annually, during the months of November 1 – December 1. Enrollment in the BRP is for one year and requires an annual non-refundable fee of $25.00 payable between November 1 and December 1. Those joining the program after December 1 must still pay the full non-refundable $25 fee for the remaining calendar year. Non-members of the BRBMDC can submit an application to be listed with the BRP if they are members of the BMDCA and in good standing, for a fee of $40.00 annually.
4. BRP members must own a Bernese Mountain Dog who in the last five years has earned one or more of the following: a. An AKC title b. Two championship points from an AKC licensed dog show c. A BMDCA title, or have judged an AKC or BMDCA conformation event
A copy of the AKC/BMDCA Title or proof of AKC championship points earned must be on file with the BRBMDC for eligibility. A copy of the judging assignment must be included for those members qualifying with judging experience.
5. BRP members will provide to the prospective buyer/owner the Bernergarde ID number for both the sire and dam of litter. The information below is all included in Bernergarde: a. A four-generation pedigree b. OFA results on hip and elbow c. OFA eye results from a board-certified canine ophthalmologist d. OFA heart results from a board-certified cardiologist e. DM results
6. BRP members will provide a written agreement/contract to the prospective buyer/owner that includes the potential quality and price of a puppy BEFORE any money exchanges hands, or the puppy is offered for sale to that individual.
7. BRP members will not breed female Bernese Mountain Dogs under the age of 18 months. It is recommended that members not use a male Bernese Mountain Dog for breeding that is under 18 months of age. BRP members acknowledge that ideally Bernese Mountain Dogs should not be used for breeding under the age of two years and after they received normal hip, elbow and eye certifications.
8. BRP members will produce litters of Bernese Mountain Dog puppies that are eligible for registration with the AKC.
9. BRP members will not purchase, breed, sell or conduct any transaction with puppies/dogs from USDA licensed breeders or brokers (i.e., puppy mills) except in cases of rescue whereupon the dog will be spayed or neutered.
10. BRP members will not place puppies until the age of eight weeks or in accordance with state law.
11. BRP members shall make themselves available to the purchaser after the sale has been consummated, to help education counseling, grooming and other care questions as well as solving behavioral problems.
12. BRP members participating in the BRP agree to take back or assist in rehoming any dog he/she has bred or owned in the event that the current owner is unable or unwilling to keep the dog, regardless of age or health. This will be clearly stated in all contracts used by the breeder. BRBMDC members will claim responsibility for dogs of their breeding from any rescue organization, with which the dog may be involved, so that an animal of their breeding does not become a public burden. If the breeder is still actively breeding, they are required to take back the dog or make arrangements for the placement of dog to remain in the Breeder Referral Program.
13. The BRP Committee will accept initial membership in the BRBMDC BRP on an individual basis.The BRP Committee will review the criteria for membership on an annual basis and make recommendations to the BRBMDC Board of Directors.